Your project can have a binary library whose content you may want to display in your diagrams. For example, you can show entities that reside in the MSCorLib.dll or other project references. Such resources exist for the project, but UML modeling does not include them in the generated HTML documentation for the project.
The Model View enables you to view class diagrams for references included in your projects. You can add references to your project using the Project Manager.
To add a project to references:
- In the Project Manager, expand the desired project node.
- Right-click the Requires node, and choose Add Reference. from the context menu.
Tip: Alternatively, choose Project->Add to Project, and then click the Requires tab on the Add dialog box.
- In the Projects tab, select the projects to be referenced and click Select.
- Click OK when ready.
Result: The Choose Type to Instantiate
dialog box shows all referenced projects, making it possible to choose the desired classifiers from the different projects.
To view a diagram of a referenced project:
- Open or create a class diagram.
- Right-click the diagram background and choose AddShortcuts. The Edit Shortcuts dialog box opens and displays the content available for the diagram and all content residing outside of the current namespace.
- Choose the resource that you want to add from the tree view of available contents on the left of the dialog and click Add >>.
- Repeat until you have added all of the resources that you want to show on the diagram.
- Click OK to close the dialog box.
Tip: If the Edit Shortcuts
dialog box does not show the resource that you are looking for, it is probably not added as a reference to your project. Choose ProjectAdd Reference
on the main menu to add a project reference.
To view the MsCorLib.dll (a standard DLL added automatically to your projects):
- Expand the References node and the MsCorLib.dll node in the Model View.
- Right-click the default diagram and choose Open Diagram. The default diagram opens in the Diagram View. You can expand the Microsoft and System folders to view other class diagrams as well.