Welcome to Embarcadero® DB Change Manager™ 6.2 and XE4
Change Manager Web Site | Embarcadero
Technologies Home | Technical
ReadMe Last Published: Aug. 12, 2013.
Any updates to these notes will be available at http://docs.embarcadero.com/.
Thank you for using Embarcadero DB Change
Manager! Its compare, synchronization, data masking, and auditing
capabilities let you track and report on changes, roll out new
releases, and pinpoint performance problems resulting from changes to
the data, schema, and database configurations. By comparing a live
database to a schema or configuration “snapshot” administrators can
quickly identify changes and correct problems. By monitoring
configuration settings, DBAs can ensure compliance with regulatory
policies and performance standards, and maintain overall database
performance and availability.
What's New in Change Manager
This releases focuses on maintenance only, specifically on fixing customer-reported bugs. There are no new or changed features.
Important Advisory Notes
Change Manager supports the following operating systems:
following operating systems are not supported in the 6.2/XE4 release:
- Microsoft Windows 7 (x86-32, Win32), Microsoft
Windows 2008 (x86-32, Win32), Microsoft Windows XP (x86-32, Win32),
Vista (x86-32, Win32), or Microsoft Windows Server 2003)
- Pentium 4-level processor
- 1 GB of RAM
- 1 GB of hard disk space
- 1024 x 768 display
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5.0, x86-32, GTK 2
- SuSe Linux Enterprise Server (x86) GTK+ 2.x
Change Manager supports the following platforms.
- Oracle 9i - 11g
- Sybase 12.5 - 15.0, 15.0.1, 15.0.2
- IBM DB2 LUW 8.0 - 9.5
- Microsoft SQL Server 2000, 2005, and 2008
- InterBase 2007, 2009
- Firebird 1.5, 2.0
Important Advisory Notes
- You can install Change Manager as an Eclipse plugin. This
installation feature lets Eclipse users add a version of Change Manager
with full functionality to their development environment without
requiring the standalone application.
- Change Manager 6.2 is not compatible as a plugin with Rapid
SQL Developer 2.x and DB Optimizer 2.5.
DB Change Manager 6.2 should be installed in a different
directory than 4.x or 5.x versions. If DB Change Manager is installed in
the same directory, the following error will result in at application
start up: "Unable to read workbench state. Workbench UI layout will be
If a 4.x or 5.x version is already installed on your machine, either
change the default Workspace or delete all files from the Workspace
directory. The Workspace directory location appears whenever you start
DB Change Manager and can be redefined from this dialog box. If the
same Workspace is indicated for the new version, as was indicated
previously, the following error will result: "Cannot restore workbench
If DB Change Manager is already running, you can also modify
the Workspace directory by choosing File > Switch
Workspace > Other from the Main menu.
The format in which schema comparisons are saved has changed in 6.0/6.1/6.2.
Use the import feature to import pre-6.0 schema comparison jobs.
DB Change Manager 6.2 provides an upgrade process for moving
jobs and other information from an existing Change Manager 4.0, 5.0,
5.1.x, 5.5.x or 5.6 installations. No upgrade process is required
to move from 6.1 to 6.2.
NOTE: You do not have to upgrade to 5.6 and then to
6.2. The import procedure is the same.
Upgrading from Version 5.0, 5.1.x, 5.5.x or 5.6 to
All objects can be imported from version 5.0, 5.1.x, 5.5.x or
5.6 to Version 6.2.
To upgrade from 5.0, 5.1.x, 5.5.x or 5.6:
- Make sure that the earlier product is not running and that
no command line jobs are being processed.
- Install and run DB Change Manager 6.2 in a different
directory than the previous installation.
- The Welcome to DB Change Manager dialog
opens with the Setup and Import
data sources, jobs, and settings from a previous version import options
- Click Get Started to launch the Import
Wizard. Alternatively, you can launch the Import
Wizard from the main menu:
- Select File > Import.
- Select Change Manager Workspace
from the Embarcadero group and click Next.
- Select the version of Change Manager from which to import.
- Select the location of your DB Change Manager workspace.
The default value is the default workspace, so you need only change
this value if you configured DB Change Manager to store the workspace
in a custom location.
- The wizard imports the items from the previous Change
Manager version. Click Next to continue through
each step of the wizard.
- Click Finish. The jobs are imported to
Upgrading from Version CMSchema 4.0 or CMData/Config
4.0 to 6.2
The following objects can be imported from version 4.0:
- data sources
- all comparison jobs (data, configuration, and schema)
- configuration archives
- configuration standards
The following objects cannot be imported
from version 4.0:
- schema archive versions
- synchronization scripts
- command line automation (scheduled jobs, batch files, etc.)
Note: 4.0 should remain installed to access any archives and
To upgrade from CM Schema 4.0:
- To import schema comparison jobs from 4.0, obtain and
install cmschema_40_932_upgrade.exe from your
Embarcadero Technologies Support representative.
- Run cmschema_40_932_upgrade.exe to convert the schema
component jobs from version 4.0 to 5.0, which uses an XML-based format.
- Follow the steps as described in the previous section,
"Upgrading from Version 5.0, 5.1.x, 5.5.x or 5.6".
- Saving jobs is not recommended if they trigger errors on
runtime. Problems may occur and some functionality may fail to execute.
- System Tables, Indexes, and Primary keys created using
Oracle Text indexing (CTX_DDL package) are not filtered by the Ignore
System Objects filter. The solution for this issue is creating custom
SQL Filters to exclude any objects the user does not want to include in
- Large DDL files generated through schema archive cannot be
opened due to an eclipse memory limitation (~ 100.000 objects). The
solution is generating the DDL in chunks that the user can easily
inspect and modify.
- All procedures on a source schema will be picked up in
comparison when checking Include dependencies on DB2.
- Job import doesn’t work if you change the default path for
- SQL Filter's conditions changed. In 5.0.3, the conditions
within a SQL Filter are applied in an AND manner (an intersection of
the conditions specified), but in 5.1, the conditions are applied in an
OR manner (a reunion of conditions).
- Type filter text from Data Source Explorer does not apply
correctly for imported data sources.
- The SQL Editor doesn't have an option to Set ON/OFF
ARITHABORT for SQL Server. The DML generated by data comparison will
fail on tables with indexes on computed columns or indexed views if the
default Server setting is OFF.
- Running jobs from the command line is not yet supported for
the All Access InstantOn version of Change Manager.
- The CM Schema 4.0 943 patch needs to be run twice in order
to successfully update an older CM Schema installation.
- Code complete is available only after you enable indexing
of the specific data source.
- While licensing, if the error "Cannot find base license"
appears, try removing the line:
from the change.ini file and changec.ini file in the installation
folder of Change Manager 5.1.
- Users of InterBase may experience difficulties using the
SQL Editor in some isolated cases. You can disable parsing for the SQL
Editor script-by-script by right-clicking on the file in the Navigator
view and changing the Parser Settings. Contact support for more
- The Open Scheduled Tasks button from the toolbar is not
available for use with the InstantOn version for Windows 2008 OS. As a
workaround you could start the scheduled tasks window manually from the
operating system functionality or install the application.
- Quick Launch icon is not available for Windows 2008 and
- SQL Editor doesn't display big ntext fields for MS SQL
Server caused by Eclipse limitations for simple text files. The
characters are there, but can't be seen. If you copy the content of the
SQL Editor and paste it in a document you can see that the characters
are displayed correctly.
- Installing the application in the root partition C:\ is not
recommended because serious problems may occur and some functionality
may fail to execute correctly.
- Sync Scripts Import functionality is not available from CM
Data and Config 4.0 to Change Manager 5.1 and newer versions.
- The Ignore Object Permissions option for schema comparison
jobs does not work if the Enable Dependency Linking option is not
selected in the Preferences page. By default, Enable Dependency Linking
is unchecked for Oracle, so all Grant statements for Oracle objects are
not extracted and compared.
- Identical views with different Header comments cannot be
synchronized on SQL Server.
- Comparison fail views on SQL Server if the "Compatibility
level" server property is set to 70=SQL Server 7.0.
- Comparison fails for Tables and Indexes on DB2 if the
system temporary tablespace is a page size smaller than 8k. We
recommend using a 16k page size so that Change Manger queries run
- When using DB2 version 8.1 with different collation between
the source and target, the object matching will not be correct due to
an IBM server known limitation.
- Identical views are seen as different when comparing cross
platform objects SQL Server vs. Oracle due to text property which
specifies the view columns on Oracle. The same problem occurs for SQL
Server vs. Sybase, due to the way that Sybase returns the select
- Identical Check constraints are seen as different when
comparing objects on Oracle, Sybase towards SQL Server, due to the way
SQL Server returns check conditions.
- When comparing tables among different versions of Oracle,
the default values for Storage parameters will be removed from
- The options "Ignore Constraint Names", "Exists in Target
Only (Drop)", and "Ignore Specific Name" work only for object types for
which all items are included on the refinements tab. Specific object
selection will invalidate these option selections.
- For MS SQL, you should manually exclude System Databases
from any Data Movement and Data comparison (e.g. master, msdb, model,
etc.) in order to avoid any alteration on data dictionary. See
- Data Auto-synchronization Limitations:
- When updating the IBM DB2 client with new patches, or
upgrading from the installed version, the client needs to be rebound to
the IBM DB2 server. If rebinding is not performed, there will be
problems in getting metadata using the DB2 driver. One solution is to
drop and recreate the database if you are unconcerned about the data in
that database. This will automatically perform the required bindings.
- For tables having columns with data type DECFLOAT, data
migration gives null pointer exception and the data does not get moved
- For tables having columns with data type MLSLabel
Oracle driver gives a null pointer exception.
- Data Auto-synchronization is not supported for versions
of InterBase 2007 below Service Pack 3 (v126.96.36.1993)
- Use the trim trailing spaces option when doing a
cross-platform comparison for tables with binary, nchar, numeric or
unichar data types towards SQL Server, because the server is appending
trailing blanks and 0s when data is inserted in the tables.
- Random exceptions could be experienced when performing data
movement jobs using MS SQL trusted connection caused by concurrency
issues when Secur32, ntdll ( from Windows) and ntlmauth from
dbconnection (DB Change Manager internal plugin) are accessed.
Bugs fixed in Change Manager 6.2/XE4 include:
||As a user I have a schema compare option to ignore brackets in a comparison
||Option to exclude header from multiple archive SQL files
||When new database is added to datasource, it is automatically selected for inclusion in an existing schema comparison job.
||TS: The reports for Schema Comparison Job doesn't show the "nn% MATCH" total
||SCHEMA_COMPARE - Matching Procedures different due to square brackets
||[Schema Comparison Job] Job results report differences where none exist.
||[Schema Archive] The TempCache folder is consuming a lot of space.
||[Schema Archive Job] DDL scripts are not deleted when deleting schema archive job
||TS: Configuration parameter shown in Results doesn't appear in the Configuration Property Refinement
||DB2 index property differences should be ingnored in Schema Comparison job
||Differences in DB2 Primary Key, Unique Key Column Count should be ignored by out comparison. They are only valid on Index level.
||[Schema Archive Job] Time gap between the job starting and the populating databases step
Technologies Technical Support
Embarcadero Technologies on the Web
Embarcadero Technologies Technical Support
If you have a valid maintenance contract
with Embarcadero Technologies, the Embarcadero Technical Support team
is available to assist you with any problems you have with our
applications. Our maintenance contract also entitles registered users
of Embarcadero Technologies products to download free software upgrades
during the active contract period. Evaluators receive free technical
support for the term of their evaluation.
We encourage you to visit the Support
section of our Web site.
Embarcadero Technologies on the Web
To download evaluations of other
Embarcadero Technologies products or to learn more about our company
and our products visit us at http://www.embarcadero.com/.